This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Thursday 25 May 2006

Day 2 - Bettyhill to Bonar Bridge

We spent the night at a lovely place called The Farr Bay Hotel in a large spacious and luxurious room. Their food, like everywhere we've been so far was excellent and mine was washed down with a couple of pints of cider. Another large breakfast set us on our way, although I stopped as soon as I managed to get a mobile phone signal so that I could get and send various e-mails. The journey up Strathnaver was breathtakingly beautiful - I hope the photos do it justice. The weather has been alternating between sunshine and wintry showers but I've been smiling all the way. The six miles south from Altnaharra were all uphill and into the wind but once over the summit, there, in the middle of absolutely nowhere, was The Crask Inn. A friendly landlord offered beer, lager, spirits, hot food and accommodation for those that wanted it - we went for the beer and hot food option. The rest of the day was downhill(ish) so fairly whistled by (although it did get a bit wetter) and the wind was less in my face.There were a lot of 'end-to-enders' on the road today and I stopped to chat with about seven of them! One however wasn't stopping at John O'Groats, but was taking the ferry to The Orkneys, then on to The Shetlands and finally across to Bergen! I suspect he was then going to work his way back south to France (he was French after all).All those of you who wish you'd come along on this ride, just look at the pictures and then kick yourselves - it's fantastic up here and 50 -60 miles in a day doesn't seem too hard (mind you I've got a very tough climb tomorrow, so let's see how I feel after that).I must mention the fact that Jan has been driving the sort of roads she has nightmares about - narrow, hilly, winding, remote - and has done a fantastic job. Plus she's the fastest Scooby I've seen all day.
Todays stats:
Todays Mileage: 57 miles
Average speed: 12.8 mph
Maximum speed: 29.1 mph

Cheers, Bob & Jan



















No comments:

Post a Comment