This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Sunday 28 May 2006

Day 5 - Fort William to Crianlarich

Bob has asked me to write a few words giving my side of the great adventure. My thoughts, as usual, are all over the place but I will try to sum up our first few days. First of all I must say (and I mean this most sincerely folks) my admiration for Bob in doing this ride is tremendous. I have seen him riding up mountain roads that I've had trouble driving up. Plus the weather in the last two days has been dreadful but through it all he has been as cheerful and upbeat as ever. He keeps saying that he is enjoying himself and not to worry - I'm trying to do that. For my part, I'm having a really good time and although the weather is bad, the scenery and friendly welcome everywhere is more than making up for it. We'll definitely be coming back to Scotland for a proper holiday! My main role is support driver and sorter of carrier bags. My driving is getting better: I've coped with single track roads with tiny passing places, steep downhills (on which Bob goes faster on his bike), and loads of sharp bends. Perhaps now is a good time to mention the affair I'm having with NavMan. While Bob is cycling all those miles NavMan and I have managed to get to all the destinations without too much trouble. I've only overshot one B&B and today I stopped at the wrong visitor centre: after sitting there for 10 minutes I got a call from Bob asking where I was. NavMan and I sheepishly drove on to meet him. Getting back to the carrier bags (my girls will really laugh at this) I've been carting half a dozen of them in and out of every B&B we've stayed at. They're all Tesco's bags apart from one posh one from Tods. But at least I haven't forgotten anything as most of my worldly goods are packed in the car. My best moments so far have been:1. Laughing so much on realising I'd packed the fake apple.2. The view from the B&B at Fort William.3. The views of the mountains as I drove along Strathnaver.4. The huge skies forever changing.5. Hearing The Buzzcocks' "Ever Fallen in Love With Someone" being sung country style in a Scottish/Italian restaurant. This is Jan signing off and I love you all.

Here's the boring statistics bit:
Accumulated mileage: 265 miles
Todays Mileage : 52 miles
Todays average : 12.8 mph
Todays max speed : 30.7 mph




































No comments:

Post a Comment