This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Friday 26 May 2006

Day 3 - Bonar Bridge to Fort Augustus

The day started wet and windy, so it was on with the waterproofs right from the start. Four miles later and into the first climb: the rain has gone and the sun is blazing- off with the Gore-tex! I'd met up with a party of cyclists from an Edinburgh school yesterday and there they were on the hill (leaving me behind). However, one had a technical problem and lo and behold Bicyclerepairman swung into action. Quickly changing into flat hat and brown dustcoat behind a convenient sheep, I appeared brandishing my multitool. One of the teachers intervened but I managed to adjust a full set of spokes before sending the young lad on his way! After the climb and some undulating moorland there was a nice fast downhill - unfortunately limited to 16mph due to a ferocious headwind - whose idea was it to do the JOGLE rather than the LEJOG? Next the Cromarty Firth swam into view, populated by three oil rigs and several seals (I took pictures of one of each). With the wind constantly in my face as well as occasional squally showers, I plodded on south through Muir of Ord to Beauly where I had a late lunch of tuna sandwiches washed down with three cups of tea. The sky looked clear, so I gambled and discarded all my waterproofs and ancillary gear (I kept my Gore-Tex jacket tied round my waist though) in order to sprint the final 32 miles in the dry. Wrong choice! The first twenty odd miles were fine & dry but then the rain came and I got a tad wet. The wet chilled my muscles and for the first time I ended the day with an aching ......... bottom. I'm hoping for a nice run down from Jan but I suspect I'll be asleep as soon as I lie down. Doh!
Todays stats:-
Accumulated mileage : 179 miles
Todays mileage : 69 miles
Todays average speed : 12.6 mph
Todays max speed : 42 mph

p.s. M.Boik informs me that the "Skip Lorry denial of service attack" has been repulsed and the website is firing on all cylinders. Hurrah for M.Boik. p.p.s. Any ornithologists out there? I saw a bird today that had a black head, white chin (or possibly cheeks) and a crimson chest. Size-wise it was mid way between a Robin and a Blackbird. I saw it up on the moors - heather and small scrub. Please let me know what it is via my normal e-mail address. Cheers, Bob and Jan





























No comments:

Post a Comment