This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Friday 2 June 2006

Day 10 - Glenridding to Little Ecclestone

More thoughts from the bag lady.

I'm writing this at the top of Kirkstone Pass in the Lake District, waiting for Bob to come over the top - photo opportunity! We left the B&B together at about 10:00hrs and it took me half an hour to reach the top, stuck in a queue of traffic with a coach in front. It was a challenge in the car, down to first gear and the smell of burnt clutch hanging in the air - sorry Bob. I don't know how long it will take Bob to ride to the top but it's a beautiful day and the views are wonderful. He is still doing a grand job with the cycling (ten days in the saddle). He's done over 500 miles so far but why is it that he still has trouble finding his socks/cotton wool buds/pants or anything else that doesn't come immediately to hand. But I suppose that's what I'm here for - to look after the old boy!

Navman and I are getting along fine although one day I thought he/she wasn't talking to me - then I realised I had the volume switched off. We have got lost together a few times, once in Stewarton when I was looking for a postbox and also in Carlisle when we went round and round a roundabout looking for the right exit! Navman takes no notice of no-right turn signs or no-entry signs so I have to be on the lookout all the time.

More best moments:

1. The warm welcome at Maureen and Jims in St. John's Town of Dalry.

2. The lovely evening meal at Bessiestown Farmhouse in Catlowdy.

3. Finding a Tesco's in Carlisle - I'm missing my larder!

My biggest challenge so far has been driving down from Kirkstone Pass to Windermere because the road was fast and winding with a sheer drop on the left hand side of the car. A quick note for Pat - our car is a Subaru and they're commonly known as Scooby's ( it doesn't mean anything else!!).

Biggest disappointment so far: Having to rush through the beautiful Lake District so quickly - Bob's riding like the wind at the moment!

Todays stats:
Accumulated mileage : 544 miles
Todays Mileage : 63.8 miles
Todays average : 12.2 mph
Todays maximum : 44 mph










No comments:

Post a Comment