This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Monday 5 June 2006

Day 13 - Chester to Church Stretton

Well, that's the 15th fried breakfast in a row - perhaps I should be having porridge instead. The sunny weather enticed my legs to venture forth in shorts today. Lashings of sun tan lotion were applied (thanks Jan) and away I cycled. I was soon out into the Cheshire countryside and plagued by thousands of small black flies. Still, I only swallowed one, so I didn't do too bad. After a day off it was actually nice to be back in the saddle. With the gloriously sunny weather the riding was very enjoyable. I soon found myself looking forward to lunch and but was feeling grumpy because I thought I was lost. I phoned Jan and she guided me in to the lake at Ellesmere (well not literally) where, unbeknownst to me, Boik and Bev had travelled all the way over to see us. What a pleasant surprise - it made my day! After lunch they kept Jan company on the journey down to Church Stretton whilst I explored the same route via the more minor roads. Just after Shrewsbury I met up with Fred Lambert who is walking from John O'Groats to Land's End to raise funds for St.Lukes Hospice in Plymouth. We had a good chat and I was impressed with how cheerful and committed Fred is. Good luck Fred.

Bev and Boik have sorted out tonights B&B and very nice it is too, situated in the Cardington valley which cuts into the Long Mynd. Boik drove us up to the top where we had some fun flying his aerofoil kite. He then drove us over the edge (down a 1 in 4 hill) before we found a pub where we had some good food washed down with vats of wine (in Bevs case) and just a few ciders (in mine). Anyway, I suspect all that cider's had an effect on tonights report, so I will sign off now and hope I don't suffer (too much) tomorrow. Byeeeeee.

Todays stats:
Accumulated mileage : 670 miles
Todays mileage : 57.5 miles
Todays average : 13.3 mph
Todays max speed: 38.2 mph










No comments:

Post a Comment