This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Friday 9 June 2006

Day 17 - Crediton to Camelford

Today was hot and full of hills again but I got on much better than yesterday. Jan dropped me off where I finished last night and it was straight into a set of hills through Crediton and on to Okehampton. Mick and Marilyn met Jan and I there and we spent the hottest part of the day chatting over a light lunch. We took a photo but I'm not looking quite my usual self..... Then it was back onto 'The Edge' and a stiff climb away. The next part of the ride was generally downhill along the old A30 which was smooth and wide and not at all busy. More steep hills followed but I tackled them by using my granny ring and occasional stops for ice-cream or a drink of water. Jan met me at a place called Egloskerry with a blueberry muffin and a litre of chilled water and the news that the B&B for tonight as well as the hotel for friday & saturday were all arranged. Reinvigorated, I enjoyed the last 14 miles and made a couple of phone calls whilst I rode along (hands free of course).

A quick word about tonights B&B - Jan has surpassed her already high standard with one that looks out over the Cornish coast. It's excellently appointed and we went down to a nearby pub where we took the sunset photos on the gallery page and had a chat with a nice couple from Newbury.

I had a text from my fellow end-to-ender, Paul, to say that he finished today at 17:15hrs. He has positively flown through Devon & Cornwall - I've asked him what route he used. Mind you I've got less than 100 miles to go, so I don't think it will make much difference. Depending on how I get on tomorrow, I may be able to finish by midday on saturday (but I've got sunday available just in case).

I've worked out why my speedo was playing up earlier in the trip - the signal from my mobile phone was interfering with the signal for my speedo. As far as I can make out the impact was only on the real time speed reading and not constant so didn't really have any effect on mileage/average/maximum. So, what I'm saying is that my official stats will remain those produced by my speedo - so there!

Todays stats:
Accumulated mileage : 919 miles
Todays mileage : 55.35 miles
Todays average : 12 mph
Todays maximum : 37.6 mph



















No comments:

Post a Comment