This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Wednesday 7 June 2006

Day 15 - Gloucester to Glastonbury

Last nights stop was about 6 miles short of Gloucester and tonights is on a working farm about 4 miles west and north of Glastonbury.

Quite a tough day today - after Gloucester there was a tough climb up into the Cotswolds and then a downhill into Stroud before going back up again to return to the Cotswolds. We had lunch at a country pub and met some fellow cyclists who gave me a message for Roger Nash - They still have the big black dog with a swishing tail. Can Roger let them know when he'd like it back? I think they called themselves Mummy & Wupert.

Whilst I continued cycling through the afternoon, Jan went sightseeing at a picturesque village called Castle Combe and did a bit of present shopping. Meantime, the route took me on more ups and downs and then through Bath before a killer climb under the blazing sun. I stopped halfway up to refuel with some water and an energy bar. The hard work was followed by a nice downhill but all too soon there were yet more hills as I travelled through the Mendips. Finally there was two whole miles of downhill into Wells. Janice finally caught up with me at this point and says I was doing more than 40 mph (my speedo reckons it was 42.1 mph).

I've attached a photo of the bird I spotted back in Scotland. Thanks everyone for your guesses and the photo (courtesy of M. Boik) is of a Stonechat. I've got a new one for you to identify - it's in the Gallery - let me know what you reckon it is.

Tomorrow was supposed to be a rest day but I'm going to ride a full day (I'm in the mood) so that I can hopefully bring my arrival at Land's End a day forward - with a bit of luck I'll finish at midday on Saturday leaving enough time to find somewhere to watch the England game.

Todays stats:
Accumulated mileage : 803 miles
Todays mileage : 71.5 miles
Average speed : 11.8 mph
Maximum speed : 42.1 mph













No comments:

Post a Comment