This blog is in daily instalments starting from the bottom.....

My photo
Cheerful Bearded Cyclist

Saturday 3 June 2006

Day 11 - Little Ecclestone to Chester

I added a few miles to yesterdays route in order to ride to the only B&B we could get booked into. So todays route was slightly different than intended. There were just a couple of small hills and the wind was generally from one side (rather than from the front) and that coupled with the use of a few A roads meant that I made fairly good progress. It didn't stop me getting lost in Preston and then later on in the lanes around Billinge. The most memorable features of today were the number of cars flying those cross of St. George flags, the sneakiness of a couple of traffic cops who were hiding in the shadows nicking motorists who were slowing down to the speed limit and the sight of the Runcorn-Widnes bridge. I met up with fellow end-to-ender Paul just as I was taking a photo of the bridge. We kept each other company as we worked out a way through Runcorn and had an ice-cream to celebrate making it to the Chester Road. We parted company after that as we each got into our different rid

ing paces (I was starting to feel the bumps and wanted to get to Chester fast). It seems like only yesterday that we were in Scotland but now we're well and truly in England. I've awarded myself a day off tomorrow (saturday) and hope to visit some relatives, stroll around the city centre and also get a haircut!

Last night we stayed at a country inn that is in the CAMRA good beer guide. Of all the ales on tap I just had to try the London Pride! My reasoning being that I know what a good Pride tastes like and I was curious to see how well it travelled so far from Chiswick. It tasted good but was served with a monster 'creamy' head - apparently that's how they like it in Lancashire! The landlady suggested that us Southerners preferred it 'flat' - cheeky monkey - it doesn't need an inch of creamy froth getting in the way of the beer if you ask me.Right by the pub was a Toll Bridge - free for pedestrians but 10p for a bike - I toyed with trying to sprint past the toll collector as a bit of entertainment but decided I didn't want to risk getting stranded the wrong side of the river facing a ten mile trek back. As I write this the sounds of a wedding reception being held in the hotel courtyard are coming through my window. Two observations: why do drunken men sporadically sing the same old footy song (di der da da, di der da da, di der di da da, di der da da)? And how much is the DJ getting for just putting the Best of Rod Stewart CD on repeat?

Anyway, time for tea, byeee.

Todays stats:
Accumulated mileage : 611 miles
Todays mileage: 67 miles
Todays average speed: 13.5 mph
Todays max speed: 35.9 mph








No comments:

Post a Comment